Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Firsts

As you all know, there are good firsts and there are bad firsts. Today is one of those days where we’ve had one of each, so I guess we’ll go with the bad first first and the good first second.

Bad First

Here’s my tweet on the subject:

The Girl just hurled. Fortunately, she was in Mom’s lap and most of it went in her blankie.

Kindra was holding Danica on her lap getting ready for bed when I came over to the couch to kiss Danica goodnight. The Girl had been saying that her tummy felt bad, which we really didn’t think too much of since she’s said the same thing before. Kindra figured she’d just picked it up from one of the girls at daycare, and even though I knew she hadn’t had any sugar or candy, I just thought that she’d maybe eaten too much of her dinner.

Unfortunately, neither of those were the case. As we were in the process of explaining to Danica that going to bed would help her feel better, she decided that regurgitating everything she’d had since lunch would probably expedite the process. It was quite a bit of blueberries, mango, noodles, and meatballs which Kindra and I both had the good fortune to watch come up. Several times.

She’s done it thrice more since then. The first time, I’d gone to put her clothes and blankie in the wash, and when I came back, I found Mom and Girl on the floor in the bathroom. Apparently, she said that her tummy didn’t feel good, and Mom had the good sense to take her to the toilet. Mom lifted the lid, held her hair, and she just leaned over and cleaned whatever was left out.

The second time, they were lying in Danica’s bed to go to sleep while I was out getting set to write this blog. I hear Kindra calling for me, so I go into Danica’s room and find the two of them hovering over the trash can. I grabbed the can and got what hair Kindra didn’t get out of Danica’s face and got the saddest eyes I’ve ever seen The Girl give me as she heaved up a couple of more ounces of liquid. She just curled up with Mom on the couch in her room and tried to keep her eyes open (sheesh, even exhausted, she doesn’t want to sleep).

About half-an-hour later, I went to go swap the laundry, and when I got back… Mom caught most of it this time, since it was just the small amount of liquid she’d tried to drink. You know The Girl’s sick when she actually asks to lie down in her bed. Poor girl.

We’re hoping it’s just some bad food and not something that the rest of us can catch. One of the mango slices she’d eaten at lunch wasn’t the best, so we’re looking to that as the culprit. In the interest of full disclosure, she seems to have developed a very mild fever, but don’t panic because it’s really low. She’s been sleeping on-and-off, so it’s gonna be a long night.

Good First

On the bright side (or not so bright side, depending on how you look at it), Colin did this today for the first time:

Sorry I don’t have a better picture of it. He just happened to do it while Kindra was out of the room, and he looked a little wobbly, so I didn’t want to run, have him turn his head and fall down.

I’d seen him playing with the DVD tray cover on the DVD player there earlier in the day (which, btw, Danica did incessantly when she was his age), but I never in my wildest thoughts he’d pull himself up. He’d also been pushing himself up onto all fours, but it seemed like this would be a little further off because I’d actually tried getting him to pull himself up on me.

Guess this means his days of doing the worm (or butterfly stroke, if you prefer) to get around are nearly over. Danica walked just after her first birthday, but it looks like we’ll be hearing the pitter-patter of this guy’s little feet in a month or so. Dang it.

2 comments:

a mindless zombie said...

Poor Danica. Let's hope that it is just food poisoning. It's a definite drag if it is the stomach flu.

Yea for Colin! You guys are going to be in trouble now.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh my poor baby girl! There is a lot of stomach junk going around so it is probably just one of those 24 hour bugs (hopefully) especially if she is running a low grade temp!

Yeah for Colin! He kept trying to stand with his arms on the floor during Xmas so figured he would be pullig himself up next:)