Monday, January 26, 2009

Ego Trip

So, as most of you know, my shot of the kids watching Obama’s inauguration got a decent amount of fun pub via the Flickrblog. It was the second photo featured in their “We watched” entry about the inauguration. Quite frankly, I really liked a few of the other photos in there:

Obama Inauguration by calculat0r.

Inauguration Party - Obama takes the Oath of Office by bluheron.

Day 20 / 365 by odeamon.

Regardless, our photo was so popular that day that it made the front page of Flickr’s Explore, a page dedicated to what Flickr calls the “most interesting” photos of the day. Here’s a shot, if you haven’t seen it:

It’s the first time any of my photos has hit the front page, since your photo has to be pretty popular that day to be shown there. The formula for a winning photo is a mystery of photo quality, subject, views, comments, favorites, and dumb luck. I was just happy because I got the shot I wanted for the kids, and people who saw the picture understood what I wanted them to get out of the shot.

Anyway, the photo also made the front page of Yahoo! Italia as part of their Barack Obama coverage:

Some of you have been wondering how it got there. Well, turns out that one of the people who saw my photo was Flickr member Angela:-), who happens to work for Flickr (which is owned by Yahoo! in case you didn’t know). She e-mailed me and asked if she could use the photo of the kids on Yahoo! Italia, so of course I said yes.

Now before you all tell me that we need some kind of compensation, my photos are posted under a Creative Commons license that allows for non-commercial use as long as I’m given credit for the photo. All in all, the photo was up there for about a day. I’ve gotta say, it’s fun seeing our photos out there in the public.

No comments: