Thursday, September 8, 2011

Too Early for Empty-Nest Syndrome?

Dropped Danica off at kindergarten with a mimimum of fuss this morning, and now it seems strange that this is the first time in 5 years that a majority of my days will be spent without Danica around. Even though she starts school later in the morning, I think I will still be taking her to school on Tuesdsays and Thursdays around 9:00 am to drop her off with the before- and after-school care people so she can stay in a rhythm, leaving Colin and I on our own for the first time in his life. I'm not really sure what to make of it yet, other than watching one kid at a time is waaaaaaay easier than two.

It is a great opportunity for me and Bud to spend some better time together - we got a chance to hit the grocery store by ourselves right after we dropped Danica off, which was quick and painless, since I wasn't in the business of herding the both of them. Bud sat in the shopping cart playing with his V-Reader, while I cruised the aisles without too much worry. Reminded me of the days before we had Colin - though I recall that Danica was a bit fussy even back then.

Not having Smoosh around has been fairly weird during some parts of the day so far, but at least she seemed as comfortable as could be expected staying at kindergarten the first day. We'll see how it goes when we go to pick her up after Colin's nap and she's also had to transition to after-school care.

No comments: